Associate Consultant to Nonprofit Organizations & NGOs (Remote/Full Time)
- About the Associate Consultant
- Bonus Qualifications
- What We Offer
- How to Apply
- About Cause Craft
Remote: United States only, East Coast hours required.
We are looking for an early/mid-career consultant (in-house staff role) to join our small, skilled, highly collaborative team of Organizational Design (OD) consultants helping our wonderful nonprofit and NGO clients. We seek someone who:
- Has firsthand experience in some or all of the areas Cause Craft works, namely nonprofit/NGO fundraising, marketing, communications, advocacy, and/or digital;
- Has broad exposure to how nonprofit organizations can work and function effectively;
- Possesses strong project management, operational, process improvement, and organizational skills; and
- Brings an empathic, ethnographic approach to helping organizations plan and achieve thoughtful, achievable change.
The ideal candidate is equal parts consultant, systems-bringer, and hand-holder, comfortable both assessing and planning what’s needed for a client/project and also standing alongside the client, supporting them as they implement difficult change. This person cares as much about efficiency, governance, and process improvements as they do about healthy, sustainable nonprofit cultures and the well-being of nonprofit staff. They are comfortable speaking directly with an organization in a client services capacity, but are also thrilled to support and collaborate with our senior OD experts on complex, multi-part client initiatives. And they are intrigued by the real, messy, sometimes-conflicting dynamics of complex human organizations, motivated by the chance to make meaningful contributions to some of the world’s most important causes.
This role offers an excellent opportunity for someone with demonstrated attention to detail, OD aptitude, and strong awareness of self and others to grow into a more senior OD consultant role over time. The candidate must be located in or willing to work US Eastern time zone, with occasionally earlier hours to accommodate our international clients and staff.
- Exercise strong, proactive project organization skills and best practices to deliver accountability to our clients in terms of schedules, budgets, and quality deliverables.
- Support Senior OD Consultants on complex client projects such as organizational assessments, process and workflow designs, and team development/restructuring initiatives, working collaboratively as part of the team.
- Utilize client-management skills to build trust and rapport with client teams, from senior executives to middle managers and individual contributors.
- Offer a safe, professional, supportive ear to clients as they explore ideas and problem-solve.
- Help to observe and diagnose thorny client problems and issues, assisting clients in gaining perspective on their unique needs and challenges.
- Think conceptually and pragmatically at multiple levels of granularity: the forest and the trees, but also the leaves.
- Work in partnership with clients to offer industry perspective, propose possible solutions, and design a clear path to desired outcomes.
- Collaborate with senior consultants to create a variety of deliverables both written and visual, including kick-off decks, project plans, budget summaries, business cases, findings and recommendations reports, job descriptions, roadmaps, and scopes of work.
- Communicate ideas in ways that empower clients to imagine, understand, and internalize the necessary change and path to pursue.
Facilitation & Speaking
- Co-facilitate both remote and in-person collaborative meetings, working sessions, stakeholder interviews, visioning exercises, planning activities, team-building sessions, and roadmapping sessions.
- Speak at webinars, conferences, and industry events, translating abstract concepts like organizational development and capacity-building into real, relevant organizational terms.
- 7-10+ years of directly relevant professional experience in either/both:
- Nonprofit or NGO fundraising, marketing, digital transformation, advocacy, or communications;
- Client consultation/Project or Account Management, either independently or as part of an agency/firm, with direct responsibility for nonprofit/NGO client relationships, as a primary consultant and/or as part of a team
- Dedicated experience bringing order and structure to projects, campaigns, or other initiatives creating and managing deliverables such as project plans, work breakdowns, scheduling & budget tracking mechanisms
- Strong writing, presentation creation and delivery, and facilitation skills, and an ability to adjust style and deliverables for different audiences and contexts. Must love building slide decks and lovely documents!
- Flexible, adaptable thinking and an ability to pivot as a situation shifts
- Understanding of the structure, needs, practices, and culture of the nonprofit sector.
- Comfortable working directly with a range of client staff from executive leadership to individual contributors in a variety of roles (e.g. strategy, supporter engagement, tech/IT, operations, analytics, and others)
- A commitment to and passion for equity, diversity, and inclusion.
- Demonstrated ability to build trust and lasting relationships with clients, colleagues, and partners with compassion and care
- A hands-on, can-do attitude with strong motivation to learn new skills and grow. (We are a small, self-starting firm with a tiny team. We take the approach that no client task is beneath us, and every activity is an opportunity to learn.)
- The ability to travel occasionally to client meetings, conferences, and working sessions
- US Eastern time zone with ability to work occasional early morning hours
- Experience with international NGOs or complex, federated US nonprofits
- Direct exposure to marketing, fundraising, or communications technologies and business practices (e.g. CRM, email marketing and automation, digital engagement forms)
This job isn’t a fit for you if you:
- Have a big ego or something to prove.
- We believe in humility and checking our egos at the door.
- Are interested in executing a formula for change.
- We tailor our work to each organization’s unique needs, and have found that no two contexts are ever exactly alike.
- Have an orientation towards “fixing” organizations according to a personal ideology or set of values.
- Like good anthropologists, we need to understand an organization’s distinct values, and we work from their specific strengths and assets — who they are rather than who we might wish them to be or become.
- Seek perfection and purity over practical, staged change.
- Again and again, we’ve observed that slow progress and “two steps forward, one step back” can sometimes be the reality of complex organizational transformation.
This is a permanently remote position in a collaborative, distributed work environment that offers significant work/life flexibility. Compensation includes:
- Competitive salary based on experience ($90,000+ commensurate with experience)
- Employer-sponsored 401k plan with match
- Generous paid vacation
- Growth and learning opportunities
- Annual in-person team retreat with colleagues (pandemics permitting).
Please send your cover letter and resume to email@example.com with the subject line “Project Management/OD position.” Applications without both cover letter and resume will not be considered.
Cause Craft Consulting was founded in 2018 by Alice Hendricks and Misty McLaughlin, two experts in organizational design, development, and capacity-building for nonprofits and NGOs. We are a small-scale, high-impact consulting company that helps marketing, fundraising, communications, advocacy, digital, tech, and data teams to build their internal capacity for engaging supporters. Cause Craft is a fully remote company that is 100% woman owned and led. Read more about us!